indielib.com

IndieLib Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I make a centralized thread in regard to the development of the IndieLib crossplatform port. This post will be edited to concentrate all information regarding the port. If you want to collaborate don't hesitate to contact me.

EDIT
The indielib Road Map has been moved to the Wiki, it can be found here:

http://www.indielib.com/wiki/index.php?title=IndieLib_developer_FAQ
/EDIT

Last edited by DarthMike on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:43 pm 

Right arm!
Just wanted to thumbs this project up. I haven't had the chance to use IndieLib much, 'cause I'm usually developing for Linux. Glad to see you are planing to maintain all the original IndieLib features (like 3d).

How's the testing phase of 0.4 going so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

How is this going? Update with some info, please! :)

Keep the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

IndieLaw wrote:
How's the testing phase of 0.4 going so far?

Hmmm as I can se there is still some work left on the 0.3 version.

Well, currently I have ported DarthMike's Test's so that these can compile and run on Linux. ( the Indielib library compiles nicely on Linux, with very few warnings... those that are present are from the development version of libsdl 1.3 - yes we moved from 1.2 to 1.3 since there is scheduled a stable release later this year.)

Well Linux runtime is another issue : currently i'm bughunting these critical issues:

1) GLEW initialization. - Somehow glew dosn't get initialized in a proper way (maybe it's because im running my linux in wmware, but I don't think that that should be a problem ... read something abot that only running coregl or something should not work ... I need to read up opne this).

2) Devillib image loading, - somehow in the test, Devilib can't manage to load an image from a supplied path, - this should be simple, but I havn't had the time to look at It.

The above issues is not present on the windows port, - The windows port runs fine (both DirextX and OpenGl).

Oh and by the way, - now that Indielib can compile and startup on Linux, It actuelly be kind of fun finding memory leeks with valgrind :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:56 am 
Site Admin

I let some memory leaks in purpose so you can get fun... **** are there memory leaks? Shit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:42 am 

Quote:
Hmmm as I can se there is still some work left on the 0.3 version.

Yes, I had a quick look at the project and It seems to be coming along nicely. This weekend, if the spirit moves me, I would like to take it for a test drive.

Quote:
from the development version of libsdl 1.3 - yes we moved from 1.2 to 1.3 since there is scheduled a stable release later this year.

Haha, Yeah, I've been checking in on SDL 1.3 for what seems to be about 20 years now! But It's definitely a good decision to use it. Nice!

I just wanted to express my one disappointment with this project. That being no 3d and maybe some of the other odd features until near the end.
It looks like you're going mobile next with OpenGL ES and iOS - which is awesome. By all means you guys do what you have to do and keep yourselves happy. I can wait for this much awesome-ness !!

May I ask if you have any experience with iOS stuff? I'm trying to consider how long it will take to finish. If it's your first time, then I know to sit and wait patiently. LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Admin

I think is a good idea to let the 3d for the last thing. The 3d objects on Indielib is something that in fact nobody is using and that maybe I should not have done.

And yes! Keep the motivation up! I want to see Indielib running in an Iphone :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Haha, Yeah, I've been checking in on SDL 1.3 for what seems to be about 20 years now! But It's definitely a good decision to use it. Nice!

Well, im guessing that you are referring to the 2.0 version of libSDL, - it was intended to be a complete rewrite of the project, - now "they" have changed tactics and therefore the 1.3 version is based upon upgrading the 1.2 code to 1.3, which I think is a good idea.

Quote:
May I ask if you have any experience with iOS stuff? I'm trying to consider how long it will take to finish. If it's your first time, then I know to sit and wait patiently. LOL!

Well honest I have NO experience with writing code for IOS whatsoever.... but then again, - I had no experience with creating shared libraries for linux (or cross-compiling) 2-3 months ago and my c++ coding skills is shitty at it's best. Darthmike's goal (when he created the repository for the cross-platform version ) was to make it cross-compile for win32 and mac / IOS, - I just joined and began hacking and started asking silly questions.

How long it will take to finish depends basicly depends on how many people are hacking the code, - coding skills can be learned in the process..... get the hint? ;-)

Well my primary goal at present time is to fix the two errors mentioned above, - when these are fixed I plan on moving down along the roadmap Darthmike has posted above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:49 pm 

Javier López wrote:
I think is a good idea to let the 3d for the last thing. The 3d objects on Indielib is something that in fact nobody is using and that maybe I should not have done.

Hunh. Nobody using, eh? ...Again, this is only me, but the ability to drizzle a little 3D in with a 2D game engine is the best part about IndieLib. I'm only wanting the 3D to make pictures of models. Then, change the view and or lighting on all my models during a level change -- kinda thing. No doubt - mine is a rare case!

MFK wrote:
..... get the hint?

Yes I do. I've been thinking about pitching in. I've got my head wrapped around my project so tightly that it's difficult to imagine unraveling and starting back behind my start line. But It'd be a heck of a ride!

I'd have to pass on the mobile development, but I could be persuaded to pitch in on the OpenGL port....

I'll edit my profile so that you can IM or email me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Well, when I did 3d I was thinking in games like New Super Mario Bros (the characters are 3d and the tile maps are 2d). I will be happy as crazy is I see something like that coming to Indielib.

Indielaw, don't forget to introduce yourself, thanks! http://www.indielib.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:48 am 
Site Admin

Hello!

I'm to blame for this cross-platform initiative, as I've used the library for my prototype games and now I want to delve into OpenGL and add more awesomeness to this library ;)

I have experience with Objective-C and mobile platform as in my day to day work I am iPhone dev. That won't be a problem ;)

I'll contact you and you can start to browse and hack whatever you want. As for now, I have been quite busy at work and didn't have too much strength at home to take back on programming, but I promise I don't give up, and MFK neither does, he's keeping up the good work :)

Last time I was working with the porting, we had some serious problems with adapting SDL 1.3 into our code, and making it play nicely and neatly.
Second current goal I have is to make texturing work with OpenGL, now we only have simple primitives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Status update: Tutorials compiling on Linux is moving slowly (but steadily) along. - just finished the 03 of the basic ones. I hope that when DarthMike is back, he will have the time to briefly look through the code to verify that is somewhere close to sane :lol: .. and can be imported to a project setup in visual studio.

... oh well, back to the hacking ... basic 04 awaits....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

With textures??? Some screenshots please! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Javier López wrote:
With textures??? Some screenshots please! :)

Well since I havn't got around to fixing these:

Quote:
Well Linux runtime is another issue : currently i'm bughunting these critical issues:

1) GLEW initialization. - Somehow glew dosn't get initialized in a proper way (maybe it's because im running my linux in wmware, but I don't think that that should be a problem ... read something abot that only running coregl or something should not work ... I need to read up opne this).

2) Devillib image loading, - somehow in the test, Devilib can't manage to load an image from a supplied path, - this should be simple, but I havn't had the time to look at It.

The above issues is not present on the windows port, - The windows port runs fine (both DirextX and OpenGl).

There is no screenshots yet (runtime fails :roll: ). But I will get around to these at some point (they are vital for everything). But nevertheless DarthMike should be able to "just" import them in the Visual studio setup, and they should work there.

I will post some screenshots at the moment I got something visual to show =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Just a short status update:

Have just finished porting the 12'th basic tutorial. ( there are 15 in the old setup, which 3 at present time can't be ported since they are concerning 3D or light's, that is not supported (future will).

I haven't looked at the paths regarding resource loading in these, since this issue first should be looked at when the basic tutorials are importing into visual studio (and I still got the devillib path issue on Linux). The next ting I will look upon is the advanced tutorials, and maybe the benchmarks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next