All times are UTC

Post subject: Request a Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Tutorial requests go here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I really want a tutorial + source code and example of how to use Box2d and IndieLib together, not using only primitives, but IND_Surface objects (sprites).

I'm quite bad at physics and there are some people on the forums that are really good at this ;)

I think something like a platform test with a man that have a granade luncher would be great. The sprites could be just dummies. If someone makes this tutorial I will draw the sprites myself, I promise.

If someone want to try, he/she can start by getting the sourcecode of this test (IndieLib + Box2d using primitives):
http://www.indielib.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:35 pm 

how about a tutorial or a short explanation of what SetBlendSource and SetBlendDest realy do.

I realy dont understand that. I play around with it a lot and sometimes the diference is drastic (not in the good way usualy :) ) and sometimes i dont even see the diference...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:39 pm 

The only two different blendsources and blenddests you need to know about (for most things, anyway) are regular alpha and additive, regular alpha is just that, regular alpha. Additive blending puts the rgb values together of all overlapping sprites or what have you, which gives a glowing effect.
To get additive you use;
IND_SRCALPHA for source blend and IND_ONE for destination blend. There are a lot of other things you can do with it though so a tutorial might be a good addition :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:27 pm 

Hi Folks,

I'd love to give IndieLib a shot, but having some trouble getting things going. The installation tutorial provided leaves out a lot of what's actually going on - you ask us to use the first tutorial project as a default setup, but I don't just want to build games using IndieLib so that doesn't work for me.

I'm also getting a 1107 error from the linker when trying to run a project I've setup myself: are the DLLs up-to-date? Are they backwards compatible with previous versions of VS?

I'm using VS2010 and would really prefer to stay with it rather than "upgrade" or downgrade (to 2012 or 2008, respectively).

I'm hoping someone would be willing to update the tutorial, and rather than gloss-over how to install IndieLib, actually spell out the proper steps for a clean project setup, vis-a-vis

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/index.php

I understand I'm asking for a lot, but hoping someone is willing to help.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi scath,

Well,
I don't really know where to start...

so let me start by listing the facts:

fact 1) 2 guys are hacking for free on this project in their sparetime, - therefore the things that they are working on have to give some sort of personal value.
fact 2) Often new guys enter this forum, post requests and then leaves.
fact 3) we're using Github as an repository, - an we're GRATEFUL for any pull request
fact 4) We could use a windows maintainer, so if a VS2010 buildsetup give personal value, - you are welcome to create a pull request and become the 3 guy ( se fact 1) :mrgreen:

scath wrote:
... I don't just want to build games using IndieLib so that doesn't work for me.
... so what do you want then?

Oh and by the way, the things I have written is ofcause biased (sorry if I sound like an a**hole), - Maybe DarthMike have another opinion, I can't say.

Regards. MFK

Post subject: Re: Request a Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Hi scath,

Tutorial 1 has 2 versions, one telling you to use basic setup, other configuring yourself. We need more detailed list of issues and we will try to help you understand or solve them.

Could you make a list of problems you encountered and how tou solved them (if you solved them?)

Regarding VS2010 its a big no. Move forward, upgrading projects is painless and we moved already from 2008 to 2012. Cmake will solve this though but it may not be done in inmediate future. DLLs are built with VS2008 on the release packages.