indielib.com

IndieLib Forum
It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:36 pm 

Quote:
"Too complicated", my wife said. Player has to switch the switches in real time to prevent accidents. She may be right in keeping it simple.

That's awesome that your wife gets involved in your programming. The most I get from my wife when I show her those flashing LEDs or animating space ship is "that's nice dear". Then she walks away. :? :lol:

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:44 pm 

:D That's exactly the same that my wife does usually. Must be a global phenomenon. Yesterday it was the big exception from the rule :)

And before I could sleep over the two ideas the other night, boom, there was this third idea popping up. The old C64 game "Loco" (yes, I am that old). You have some scrolling railroad tracks and drive in only one direction, switch between tracks, while enemy trains come towards you. My idea: you pick up wagons, the train gets longer, you avoid colliding with trains and drop your wagons from time to time on dead end tracks.

But after all I think I'll stick to my first idea. My wife is very lovely, but let's face it, when it comes to games, what does she know? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:36 pm 

Ah. Women. You can't live with them and you can't kill them :D
( Looks to see if my girl is around. Nope! I'm safe! )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:04 pm 

I think you don´t need to have goals as this is only supossed to be a toy.

I would just put some features to the player to play with.

I´m thinking of:
- Switches and "traffic" lights to control the flow of the trains.
- Train collision (and destruction) and a "spawn new train" button to control train population.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:33 pm 

Continuing with what ionicboy said...

- random obstacles. example, my daughter has a "Thomas The tank Engine" game where, once you've built the tracks, you get Thomas to run around it. Sometimes a load of hay drops onto the track in a certain spot. You then have to click each bail of hay (a 2d sprite) and it moves to a nicely formed hay stack off to the side. If I could show you the graphics you would see how cheesy they are. So my point is you don't need much.

- watering tower. Like the hay, the train would randomly stop at the tower where you pump water by clicking the "sprite" handle. Well you have more modern trains so maybe this idea won't work here! :D

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:45 pm 

Thanks for the ideas!
That goes directly into my todo list.

I think you both are right. Maybe a normal gameplay is not the goal here. I like the idea of just sitting there and watching the trains and controling only some little things around them. In fact, I watch my demo a lot and simply just enjoy the view :)

Today I added 4 railway stations to the level.
And after that I struggled with the data structure again to have a "program" for each train. Each train now has an individual plan of how to pass the switches.

Next thing would be to allow the player to change this plan and control the course of each train. Still not sure if that won't be too complicated. :) At least I have problems to describe it in my broken english. Hopefully in the game it all becomes very intuitive and naturally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:04 pm 

Too much work at work. Nothing done in the last days. Only improved some little train graphics.

So tomorrow there will be some trains running. But I guess I won't make it to come up with real controls. We will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:01 pm 

Looks great :). I might just snag your idea after the competition is over, I do think it's a really fun one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:25 pm 

I am done (for now). No gameplay at all. Only three trains running around, stopping at each railway station and never getting tired. No sounds. No sense :)

Download TrainTraining-V0.2-CompetitionEntry.rar

Controls:
    ESC: Quit program
    Right Mouse Button: Stop all trains and enter edit mode.

In edit mode:
    Left Mouse Button: click wagon to select it (has no effect other than that)
    Right Mouse Button: Leave edit mode and let the trains continue.

Screenshot:

I think I will continue this project. Still not sure, what gameplay to introduce. But the basic train motion and internal data structure seem ok to me. So that's a start.

I enjoyed this competition! Nice to get some extra motivation for starting a new project and also great to see, what you other guys are doing.