This black/white Style with Gray Shading is
Excellent! 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
I like it! 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Not bad, not good, I don't really know. 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
I don't like it, perhaps other do, but I don't. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: [WIP] First try
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:14 pm 

Good morning, I just started this thread to show you some of my Graphics for my planned Game.

I recently restarted using the RMXP, got angrier and angries as I had perfomance problems, just 3 Layers and so on.
Then, yesterday, I found this site, the indielib AND the Editor, I was just stunned by the Mappingeditor and started searching a Style for my Game, to have some Show-off Graphics for a programmer^^.

Now, here they come, everything is still WIP, and you would make me happy by criticem them. Thanls!
Here are a few Tiles I did this morning for the Game. *updated 7.6.09*
Missed the character, I'm still working for a goodlooking template^^
Here I tried a little bit colouring with Greytones.

An early sketch there were my first thoughts about every following Graphic.

A quick ink sketch for a character I did during a surveillance hour at school, colored it on PC in 5min.

Thanks for every comment you post!

~Ragnai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:05 pm 

I've got mixed feelings about these. On one hand, it looks really good. On the other hand I'm getting a bit bored with the "painted" look that seems to be so popular these days (Braid, Facepunch, Aquaria to some extent, some of the older experimental gameplay games by 2dboy etc.).

Of course, that's just me. Disregarding that, the art looks nice with some small exceptions. The perspectives on the cars looks a bit.. off and theres not too much depth in the trees. If you fix the perspectives theres not much to complain about though.

To show what I mean with the perspectives, I drew the major lines in the second car. It's a bit cluttered but I hope you see what I tried to put focus on.
The car looks crooked, this might be intentional but if it isn't I recommend fixing it :P

Otherwise, good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:29 pm 

To the car, it was just a reaaally bad try (; but thanks for your correction.

So, how should Game Graphics look like if you would make them?
Braid for example is more something like a (bad, sorry) oilpainting, Facepunch always was a mix of photographic textures and a lot of soft colors while Aquaria is incredible beautifull colourfull.

What would I have to do to change your opinion then?

But thanks for your comment.

~Ragnai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:57 pm 

Well, it's not that I have a problem with "painted" graphics as such. It's just that it seems everyone is doing it these days and it is getting a bit much for my taste.

Braid and Aquaria both have outstanding art. Aquaria is clean, well-drawn and colourful and Braid is just terrific to look at overall. The thing I dislike (not with these games because they do it so well) is the sketched/paper look. Just looks kind of sloppy and the animation usually suffers too.

To show you what I mean I'll draw up your character as if I would use it.
*15 minutes later*
Alright, here's what I got.

To me, the one to the far left looks more "gamey" for a couple of reasons. Cleaner lines, simpler shading/colouring and overall more cartoony if you will. This is pretty much what I would expect from a game. Of course, there is nothing wrong with your version it is purely a matter of taste. Guess I'm just old-school like that.