indielib.com

IndieLib Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:49 pm 

Download here: http://metadon.indielib.com/source/Toy2/Glade.rar
Download source here: http://metadon.indielib.com/source/Toy2/GladeSource.rar

Concept:
Watch a glade grow in pseudo real-time (a tree won't take years to grow etc.) with a primitive ecosystem for a little spice including fireflies and such. Weather and a day-night cycle will be implemented to the best of my abilities to give it a little more playing value. The player won't be directly in control of how the game progresses, per se, instead the player will be able to influence weather and such to see how the glade reacts.

Planned features:
*IK Tree system
*Weather system
*Day-Night cycle
*Ecosystem with primitive natural selection

Screenshots:
The current IK Tree algorithm growing three trees. - 14th March

The current IK Tree algorithm growing a tree with leaves and wind implemented. - 15th March

Implemented some bugs flying around at random for the moment. - 16th March

Changed the debug treerendering-code to something a bit more appealing. - 25th March

The preliminary day-night cycle is now in. - 26th March

If anyone wants to work with me on this project, I could use someone doing the graphical parts. Drawing leaves, backgrounds, concepting sunrise/sunset and so on. If you only feel like doing one thing, no problem. If you're interested just send a PM my way and we can probably work something out.

Critiscism, ideas, suggestions or questions are all very welcome as always.

Last edited by Metadon on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:25 pm 

Wow, this idea is really original. I don't think I ever came across this concept. Looking forward to see it in full bloom!

If there is some time left, maybe let some butterflies fly around or other insects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:43 pm 

Thanks, and nice pun :D Yeah I'm going to put in some insects, fireflies to be precise (cause they look cool in the night). This is next on my todo list and it will hopefully add a little bit of life to the scene.

Hadn't though of butterflies but now that you say it I could swap between butterflies in the day and fireflies in the night, might make for an interesting effect :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Really original concept. I'm really looking after this project. Just waiting for some screenshots.

I hope you have time enough for playing with the visuals, this could be really beaituful.

I have some tree sprites that Danc (lostgarden.com) sent me.

I think you could use them by scaling / rotating the different parts (they are in a .psd and you could save each part with transparency. Are you interested?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:38 pm 

Yeah, im interested :)

And yes, I really hope I'll have time for the visuals as well. The base elements are pretty much all done though, so now I have a couple of weeks for polishing :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

http://indielib.com/temp/Tree.psd

Please, credit Danc in your game. http://lostgarden.com (It's a great blog about game design with really good "compos").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:56 pm 

There, changed the rendering code to use some surfaces from that psd (screenshot in OP). It's still very basic but I do think it looks more appealing now (and gives a better idea of the finished thing). Good call Javier :D

Anyway, I'm current pretty short on time for writing this game so progress is incredibly slow. Just hope I can get something finished done in time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:38 pm 

Arite, got the day-night cycle in too, atleast a preliminary version (screenshot in OP as per usual). Basically I'm just trying to cram all the features in now so I can get to polishing :P

Probably going to do some grass or other foliage next as the ground looks very barren at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:20 pm 

This is progressing really fast! Great work. Looks awesome.

How did you do the sun and the color of the sky?
Is this a 3D-light or something? Looks very realistic to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:18 pm 

The color of the sky is a linear interpolation between two colors then applied to two layers, the background and a semi-transparent foreground.
The sun is just a regular 2d texture with additive blending (it also uses two layers, to give the shine effect on the trees without overwhelming them). Since the day-color is very light the sun will look bloomed, which gives a nice effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:08 pm 

So I've hit the point where I'm running on fumes, basically. Except adding grass and weather, what more do you think I should add or change? The speed of time won't be as fast as it currently is, it's just for debugging and testing purposes. The tree growing isn't autonomous at the moment either.

So, if you want to help me out, any and all suggestions as to what I could/should change/add to make it more fun, interesting or what have you would be great :)

Get the .exe here.
Click anywhere to grow a tree at that X position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:16 pm 

Picture

I started losing framerate. :( :lol:
You should be able to destroy the trees by burning them. :twisted:
Or try to make the tree grow as tall is you can by taking care of it or something

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:58 pm 

Well, I'm as done as I'm going to get. I didn't get half of what I wanted into the game but hey, atleast I learned how to make some sort of tree algorithm. Personally, I blame the great weather keeping me outdoors.

If anything, this competition has made it clear beyond doubt that I don't mesh well with deadlines, even very generous ones like this. The active time I've spent on this is probably below ten hours. If we do this sort of thing again I'll be sure to plan the work out better.
It's been fun however, and I would do it again (will, if any more competitions come up).

Anyways, here is the link (as well as in the OP): http://metadon.indielib.com/source/Toy2/Glade.rar
(Click anywhere to spawn a tree there).
Edit: I almost forgot! Credits go out to Danc of LostGarden for textures!

Lastly, good luck to all the people that entered. Seeing other peoples work is great :)

Last edited by Metadon on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:07 pm 

Heres the source if anyone is interested. http://metadon.indielib.com/source/Toy2/GladeSource.rar