indielib.com

IndieLib Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:01 pm 

I discovered a strange behaviour when I wanted to run my project outside Visual Studio and I'm lost what causes it. The project runs fine in release as well as in debug mode but when I try to run the .exe directly everything brokes down as fast as it starts. The first time it was when I added a IND_Font. The last thing before it quits with an unhandled Exception was when it loaded the .xml of the font according to the debuglog. After commenting the font and every entity using it out things run almost well till I decided to replace all text with graphics because I only had like five occasions of static text so it wasn't a big deal.after I put all surfaces and entities in again the raw .exe break down with an unhandled exception after a bounding area was created from a .xml. I dunno how this is connected to the new entites/surfaces, but after commenting them out everthing was back to normal again.
I'm not much of a VS Guru to know where the difference lies between running inside and outside so I hope someone here can help.

Update: Before I posted I tried it on two different settings (my dev machine with a nvidia and an older pc with a pretty old ati) and both refused to run it directly. But on both is VS 2008 installed so I gave it a shot on my laptop (crappy intel graphics) with nothing but the latest vcredist on it and guess what? I run like a charme. Now i'm even more puzzled than before.

Update 2: Since it seems to work I hope you guys can test it before it gets an official release. Download here (~10mb because of the music & dlls). Yep its the project for the competition - never abandoned, only late (because of the described problem and some other).

Last edited by trash on Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:43 pm 

The game works only if I set the compatibility mode to win98, I have winXP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:56 pm 

Zappa wrote:
The game works only if I set the compatibility mode to win98, I have winXP.

This helps indeed but leaves me with more questions than answers :( All my machines are running on XP and its compiled on XP so I see no reason for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:42 am 

Same here. XP gives me a run-time error but when I set it to 98, it is fine.
By the way, it was genius, beautiful, and just wow. I know it's not finished but I think I understand what your goal was and- just... you deserve a few claps from me. :]

*clap clap*. There that's it. Only two. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:44 pm 

Runs fine as is in Vista Home Premium. No compatibility mode change needed for me.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

That's really strange. Have you tried to create again the whole project, maybe you changed some compiler parameter by error.

It dosen't work for me on XP (only if I choose 98 compatibility).

By the way... great game concept, what a pity it didn't enter in the contest. I liked the music and I liked to grow the plants using the sun and clouds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:11 am 

Quote:
Have you tried to create again the whole project, maybe you changed some compiler parameter by error.

Yep, done it two ways. First I copied the code into a working indielib project (one of the tutorials) and for the second try I created a fresh indielib project from scratch. Both times the same stupid problem. I even compiled it on different machines (sadly all with vs2008, maybe an older version will do the job?) and no luck so far.

When I get some time on my hands I will strip the code down to a minimal configuration which still reproduces the behaviour and post it for you to compile and investigate. At the current stage it seems the error already occurs by creating a bunch of entity2ds and surfaces. But its not tied directly to a specific one. If I reach a certain number and then do some xml magic (ether declaring a boundingarea or a font) it causes the application to crash.
Sounds wired? It is!

So I will post some little test-solution and hopefully the whole issue will be resolved.

Quote:
By the way... great game concept, what a pity it didn't enter in the contest. I liked the music and I liked to grow the plants using the sun and clouds.

Thanks. I wish I could have this thing finished earlier but better late than never. If you want you can post this thing in the compo-results as late entrie (and therefore disqualified) so it won't disappear silently.
And for the music: Its free music available under the creative commons and you can get it here (its stated in the readme.txt too ;P). A great artist so ensure you check the whole album. So full credits for the wonderfull music goes there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I will strip the code down to a minimal configuration which still reproduces the behaviour and post it for you to compile and investigate

Yes please.
Quote:
If you want you can post this thing in the compo-results as late entrie (and therefore disqualified) so it won't disappear silently.

Done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:05 am 

The exe crashes in "_encode_pointer", which uses the OS mechanism for encoding pointers.
Did you compile the project in MT (multi-thread) mode?
It's gotta be related to threading, pointer or memory issues.
Maybe I can fix it out if you publish your code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:13 pm 

Here we go

Last edited by trash on Wed May 06, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:01 am 

trash wrote:

Downloaded and compiled, everything's OK. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:08 am 

BTW: Though I can't respawn the error. I suggest you modify the parameter in "Project"->"Property"->"C\C++"->"Code Generation"->"Runtime library" to MT. (Release)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:27 am 

Thanks for the testing venomjj. You think you can upload the compiled .exe somewhere?

Quote:
BTW: Though I can't respawn the error. I suggest you modify the parameter in "Project"->"Property"->"C\C++"->"Code Generation"->"Runtime library" to MT. (Release)

Didn't helped here :( I run out of ideas ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:44 am 

here
It's barely an empty project, only shows black screen.
But the resources are loaded correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:04 pm 

Mhh, I run into the same problem with your .exe so it seems like an bigger thing than just a VS-misconfiguration. Anyone of the others can confirm that its not just my machine?

Update: Putting it nearer to the root of the file-system seems to help. But only for this special test-case, eco still refuses to run even putting it into C:/eco/

Update2: Ok, after more sensless commenting code out and moving the project to other places in hope to getting things to work I did something I should have done earlier. I investigated the .xml that causing all the trouble (or at least all ways are leading there) and at first glance everything seems fine, but 36 triangles splitted into four ids seems to be to much for indielib to handle. So I'm currently working on a smaller version and hope to have it done soon. Stay tuned.